Thursday, October 17, 2013

Sense (Keep the Videos Coming) and Sensibility

We plan, organize, execute and review or ,simply put, manage our activities.  Though we want to be efficient, we would settle to be effective at the minimum in our tasks.    When we are serious in and value our work, we apply proper management skills and maintain certain standards as far as output and results. As a Youtube uploader who has two channels, I have been made aware of and was oriented to "Keep the Videos Coming". 

To maintain a channel and keep the channel subscribers, an uploader must provide new videos on  a regular basis.This means that the channel must be active and ,as a result, the uploader needs to plan, organize and schedule video uploads.  The uploader needs to identify the sources of his/her video contents, plan a viable upload sequence based on video category, interest or genre, etc. In my case, I monitor public and free admission concerts/shows/performances in malls, parks and nearby venues.

For October 2013, two mall shows have been lined up to be featured in my channels.   Last Friday October 11, I recorded the reunion mall show of two former members of a popular Philippine band Freestyle. Top Suzara and Jinky Vidal collaborated to come up with the album Reunited which was also the title of the reunion concert previously held at the Music Museum.   To promote the album, a series of mall and promo shows are scheduled and the Glorietta Mall show was part of the promo tour.






I made the necessary preparations prior to performance night. My mother who was under my care was ,four days earlier, diagnosed to have a community-acquired Pneumonia. Her stable condition, however, allowed me to attend and record the mall show.  The only lapse was my failure to bring an extra battery for my recording device.  Since I have previously shot a food recycling video for my first channel, I was not able to recharge and replace the battery in my video recorder.

During the event, I coordinated with the marketing officer of Viva Records for the recording/uploading of the show.  Viva Records is the record company that released the Reunited album and together with Glorietta presented the mall show. As expected, the duo performed popular hits from their previous band Freestyle. Afterwards, the duo sang tracks from their new album. Reunited, the title track, was the show's finale.

The absence of a spare battery nearly caused the exclusion of the title track performance by the duo during the show.  Thus, a video concept has to be arrived at to lessen the impact of an incomplete title track. With the duo's musical biography, the video was divided into two parts. The first part is referred to as "blast from the past" which reminds viewers of the duo's previous hits with Freestyle.  Recorded footage were edited  to become a medley of three songs from the duo's Freestyle past. 






The second part highlights the duo's latest collaboration and presents a well-crafted album by prolific songwriter Top Suzara and superb vocalist Jinky Vidal.  Aside from original compositions, the Reunited album includes revivals of popular hits.  For this video, the second part presents five tracks of the Reunited album. To emphasize that the album does not solely rely on the title track Reunited for its creative merit, the show's finale song was placed in the video as the first track.  Then, the video sequence of the remaining four tracks were resolved.

From the four tracks, the most upbeat track was selected to be the video's final song. Fortunately, the chosen track Right Here With You was performed by the duo and was not a vehicle to focus a solo vocal performance.  Two songs which separately highlight the individual vocal prowess of both artists were placed immediately before the last song. With this sequence, a Reunited video finale was avoided.  Given reasonable airtime and exposure, the "other " songs may even turn out to be major hits like the title track.  Also, the chosen track for the video finale seemed appropriate for the current situation in the Philippines.

The next show in line was to be recorded today October 16, 2013.  After my mother's follow-up check up, I geared up to proceed to the "entertainment centerstage".  I was thankful that the mall was in Manila and heavy rainfall was experienced in Makati City for an hour immediately after lunch time. After siesta, I got to reflect and "feel".  Even though I had anticipated to record the show of another admired artist, my hands were not similarly tied as that of the performing artist. In my case, the Show "Need Not Necessarily" Go On.

Although I have missed the opportunity to record an accomplished artist and forego the viewer traffic for my channel from such video,  I must "temporarily halt the videos from coming" to give respect to and join the Philippine nation in remembering the casualties of the terrible earthquake which happened the day before in the Central Philippine Region.

The music of my concert channel will not ease their pain but I believe a "silent song" will.  For non-believers, I cannot expect you to understand this.  I do not grieve because of the destroyed churches and properties, and lives lost instead I am hopeful because of the lives that have been spared from such tragedy. I do not have the means to personally help them but I can always sing a silent song to Heaven to request for help.  I do not intend to create a musical video with a closing credit reminding viewers to remember the casualties of a catastrophe.   My mind is torn between opportunities lost and compassion but My heart is in a place where it should be.  Until such an appropriate time, the musical videos will be coming again. I will just be "Right Here With You".





No comments:

Post a Comment