Monday, September 9, 2013

Creative Playground and the Integrity Initiative

Integrity Nation Now Concert @ Glorietta Mall Makati 2013



Glorietta Mall has always been a big part of my life. It was not known as Glorietta when I made my first visit to the place. If I remember right, it was called before as Makati Commercial Center with Rizal Theater as a landmark. Later, it was known as QUAD and became Glorietta which formed part of the now Ayala Center.

I grew up in the non-exclusive area near Ayala Center called Barangay La Paz.  After 10 years, we moved to Manila but my close relatives remained in the area until I decided to return to unite my Mother who is already 86 years of age with my Sister who is residing with my cousins.

Even we transferred to Manila, I spend weekends and vacations at Pasong Tirad where I grew up.We go to Glorietta to watch movies and to spend fun time.  When I was working at the Ayala business district, I go to the place to unwind.  This explains the reason why most of my videos are recorded in Glorietta. This is my "sweet payback" to the place which I seek refuge to make me feel better.  This is the reason why I address the mall as "our creative playground".  Until now, this mall has been my refuge.  I feel blessed and happy when I am recording an event or creating a video.  Glorietta and the malls have given me this video making-opportunity.

 

This latest video was shot at the New Activity Center of Glorietta Mall last September 5, 2013. It was a 4-hour event in which half of the time was spent in audio equipment preparation and testing. Just have to commend the audio technicians and personnel for their vital role in this concert.  Seven bands performed including Noel Cabangon and Ebe Dancel who are known as individual performers as well.

The performance went on smoothly.  Just overheard from some watchers that the bands did not perform their more popular songs.  For me, I was hoping for 3 songs to be played - Tadhana, Akin Ka Na Lang and Gusto Ko Ng Baboy.  This is a big lesson for me!  As a video maker, DO NOT EXPECT your likes from a concert unless you are also the stage/creative director.  Have an OPEN mind to the performer's repertoire.   Otherwise, your preferred songs will be ringing at the back of your mind and you will loose a fresh perspective on the performance ongoing at your front.  

The concert was primarily aimed at building honesty in our nation.  There are ,of course, political overtones.  I just hoped that the concert was titled "Honesty is the Best Policy" concert since most Filipinos are not familiar with the word "Integrity".  Anyway, what struck me was the concert's approach meaning the concert did not involve finger pointing.  The concert emphasized "Honest Living/Integrity Should Start With The Self". That's right - we should practice it ourselves before we start to preach.  Although the EDSA events in the Philippines are pivotal in our nation's survival, the lessons did not linger because we were focused on looking who to blame.  Probably, it is time to monitor ourselves whether we contribute to our nation's well-being or not.

Aside from the video, the concert forced me to make a design.  I do not draw and sketch but I have lots of images in my mind.  Good thing, there are the various automated tools provided on the net/OS. I hate uploading derived images.  Aside from linking the recorded segments and organizing them to lead to a "climactic" ending, I spent considerable time creating a concert icon and a segment introduction (for the Radioactive Sago Project band)  photo. Here they are:



Blue and red are primary colors of the Philippine flag.The flag has a sun with 8 rays and three stars. I could not use the flag and put the names of the bands that performed in the concert. Why the flag?  The concert was all about building honesty in our nation and the flag represents a nation.  The easiest part of the design was the billing of the performers.  The order was based on the sequence of performance in the concert (reading from left to right of rows one to three).  Since we are talking about Integrity, white was used to display the artists' names.



In the video, all the bands except the Radioactive Sago Project band were introduced by the emcee.  With the available footage, I just assumed that my palmcorder was not able to record RSP's introduction during the concert.  Good thing was that RSP was the band without the intro. Their popular song "Gusto Ko Ng Baboy" was still in my mind and an Integrity issue was the "Pork Barrel Scam".  I also wanted to remind people about the dead crocodile named Lolong.  Those involved in the scam are figurative remnants/descendants of this animal.  Unfortunate for the PIGS and the CROCS to be associated with these notorious creatures, er human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment