Saturday, September 21, 2013

Throwback 2: A Serious Hobby - Should Have "Been Careful With My Heart"


It was New Year's eve (December 31, 2011)  when a friend of my nephew Kim asked the most relevant question in my life today - "So now, you are serious with video making?".  Since the occasion was festive - fireworks,  great food and tasting the first commercial Youtube upload (Boom Na Boom Night Market Special video which was vaguely listed by me in the events category rather than entertainment),  I confidently replied "YES!".

At this point in time, I still do not regret that answer and ,maybe, I WILL NEVER , EVER!  However, there should have been a follow-up query "How serious would you be?".  Well, I hope the following would show the intensity of my passion for the accidental hobby of mine.

The Year 2012 coincided with the Chinese Year of the Dragon.  I recorded two events - the Fireworks Display at Quirino Grandstand in Manila and the Dragon and Lion Dance Exhibition at Cash and Carry Mall. For some, they will just connect these events and upload the resulting video.  For me, something was lacking and I wanted to highlight that it was a Dragon Year. There was already a dragon dance and a dragon fruit photo was easy to obtain.  Also, I did not want to animate the video too much by using Goku who was a popular character of the Japanese manga series Dragon Ball Z.  I was into Dim Sum  and not into Sushi for this video so I just adapted the "Dragon-Ball" linked words for a familiar sound and to mean celebration.

A dragon fruit or dance will not suffice to have an impressive video start.  So I thought of things associated with Dragon and ,at that time, I frequented at least once monthly Manila's bay walk area since my Mother goes  to a hospital (Ospital ng Maynila) fronting Manila bay for her diabetic consultation.  In that area for so many years, I witness dragon boat practices and events.  The idea was already settled that dragon boat paddlers will be featured like that of the popular series Hawaii Five-O at the start and will cheer in unison "Happy New Year" in Chinese at the end.  Next, my biggest problem was which group should I approach to appear in my video since I do not know any paddler.

Enter the Dragon-Ball 2012 was meant to be done due to the generous sportspeople that I have met last year.  As a reserved person, I do not approach anybody with ease and so much so to ask them for favor. To psyche myself, I would just say "for the love of Youtube, I will do this".  One weekend, I saw the Manila Wave Paddlers practice and luckily asked their team officers Ms. Nancy Avelino and Ms. Angel Miranda  if their team can make a short appearance on my video (with the team greeting the viewers Happy New Year in Chinese and paddling their boat in action). They agreed without hesitation and informed me about their practice schedule since their routine that Saturday was over.





The paddlers' practice starts quite early as in before dawn. They are already in the water when sunlight begins to cover the horizon. Well, I just sacrificed a day or two to wake up early.  Since I was using a mobile phone camera, I had to be on the takeoff board/paddlers launch pad which was floating in the water and had to take the shot with the boat departing towards  the bay waters.  I wish I had the palmcorder before. The needed shots were taken but ,unfortunately, the video was already late for the occasion. The 2012 Chinese New Year euphoria has already died down.  Thinking about the generosity of the paddlers, I did not even think to shelve the resulting video.  Again, I just wish the Manila Wave Paddlers and their individual members the best in all their endeavors. Maraming Salamat Po!






When making a video, I also have to deal with the recording location and position available to me.  Aliwan Fiesta 2012 Pasakalye had a big video wall, However, Aliwan Fiesta 2013 Pasakalye "Idol Eyeball" had a smaller video wall.  During the performance of the duo JaMich, I have to stand on a steel bar beside the stage of the central events camera since it was forbidden to be onstage with the cameraman. The whole camera stage might collapse if all mobile video recorders will be allowed to be in that same area. After 10 minutes, I decided to go down and find a way near the performance/main stage,  In this situation, a palmcorder will not be advisable to use with a crowded audience (highly dense audience distribution). The monitor might be broken by a sudden crowd movement.

This recording position/location difficulty was also encountered in The Little Singers of Monaco video where it was very risky to shoot from the Greenbelt Makati The Gallery balcony which is above the performing artists.  A couple of times, I had to tighten my hold on the mobile phone so that it will not be dropped and may possibly hit a cute little choir boy from Monaco.  I was also very conscious when recording this video since my recording activity might have a curious and irritating effect on some balcony audience.

Aside from the recording difficulties, I challenged myself by recording an event which I have never attended to in my life or I did not have the patience to watch on TV (my apologies LifeStyle channels).  Again, Glorietta provided me the unique experience to create a video for such a show - Style Origin 2013 "Gala". It was quite different when you watch well dressed men and women acting/performing on screen (films and TV) from walking the runway.  I should have taken a very strong cup of coffee when I made the video since I had lapses when recording the first celebrity walker - Janella Salvador.  I always got off guard every time she entered since I was not familiar with the whole fashion walk routine and cues. Although, I got to learn after her walk.  To Ms. Salvador's admirers, my apologies for the lapse in my recording reflexes.






The above video is the Final Walk Medley version of Style Origin 2013 "Gala" since the original version was not playable in the USA due to the song completely used by the show's organizers during the final runway walk.  I had to create a medley of  "vogue" songs to replace and overwrite the copyrighted song..  I was quite serious this time to provide for an audience who spend their time to watch my videos.  As any creator should be, I am much grateful to the viewers who define our existence in the Youtube community.

At this very moment, I have just recorded my second Shangri-la Plaza video and my third video with ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra (first was Kindred Voices with Ms. Lea Salonga and British quartet Blake, and the second was with Piano Charmer/Virtuoso Ms. Cecil Licad).  Now, I realize that I need to draw the line/to set the limit of my "seriousness" in making videos. Being extremely serious in making Some Enchanted Evening video has drained me emotionally and ultimately made me unhappy after the upload due to some turn of events.  I did not expect this to happen to a non-performing artist like me but it did.  Maybe I can explain how this emotional crisis happened.

For me, video creation is a visual art form.  Though initially I created videos for fun, my interest led me to develop a serious attitude toward the video creation process.  IMMERSION is the word that describes my video creation attitude.  Prior to this video, I am quite aware not to totally immerse myself in the creation process - set up a certain distance and remain objective in the video's development. There are leading circumstances why I totally focused and immersed myself for this video.






Two weeks prior to this video, I recorded my first Shangri-la Plaza mall video which was the Philippine Philharmonic Orchestra PPO @ The Shang's Orchestra Series.  The video was posted in the official fan page of the mall and I got invited to watch the upcoming concert of ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra. The invite did not specify "to watch only" and so I assumed that I can also record. Although they both belong to the "Orchestra" category, I have two (2) Youtube channels which can separately accommodate them to avoid comparison.  

PPO video was a straight forward concert type.  Orchestra size was skeletal for the PPO @ The Shang since I nearly recorded a PPO video during Cultural Center of the Philippines' Open House festival (Pasinaya 2013) last February but did not pursue the recording since my mobile camera cannot clearly capture (in a single frame) the whole orchestra due to its size.  The PPO video was very technical and camera movements were CONTROLLED and tempered even.  The video was quite appropriate for the Konsyerto Pinoy channel.

Since my option was to place ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra (ABSPO)'s  video on the Jake Lanuza Channel, the video style and presentation must be quite different from the PPO.  At the time the ABSPO concert began, I did not have any idea how to create a video with an entirely different style from the previous Shang orchestra video.  I was at a level above the orchestra then and noticed the difference in the performance area.  The area included the audience area during PPO's stint and could fit a full-size orchestra. The resulting front and back audience area which are the actual hallways will not allow my camera to capture the full orchestra in a frame if I record at the same level.  If I remain in the floor level I'm in, only Maestro Gerard will be seen .  

To capture the full orchestra, combination of shots must be done to show the "wholeness" of the orchestra. For ABSPO, the arrangement was very distinct - the string instruments side and the wind instruments side.  I do not have any knowledge of such orchestral arrangements. But if the instruments grouping was made similar to the PPO (with string instruments on the first couple of rows and the wind instruments on the succeeding rows) with this new performance area, it will be visually unattractive and maybe impossible to focus and/or highlight the instruments played. With a very narrow front audience/viewer area, showing the "wholeness" of the orchestra can be made by focusing on the string side, then the wind side and culminating with a shot of the conductor or Maestro with some orchestra members.

So I must come down and be at the same level with the ABSPO.  Again, I am being pulled outside  my comfort zone.  Damn, I am being exposed again!  I don't want people to notice my recording activity but eventually I accepted the fact that if I want better shots then I must record in front of the orchestra and walk within the area.  When should I do the movements and how?  I don't think anybody can give a clear technical reply to such query.  So I stopped using my head, instead I went with my emotion - GO WITH THE FLOW!! (Internalize the music.)

The choice of music was congruent with my system that night. When I heard the initial notes of the signature Bond theme, I rushed down to the orchestra's floor level.  The music gave rise to a "search/query" feeling and so I pointed the camera downwards to avoid directly recording people's faces and demonstrate the camera's searching action.  By now, I adopted an attitude - camera must move similar to what emotion the song ignites in me. By the time the Star Wars and Superman medley was performed, I did feel some sort of adventure and flight - literally my camera was flying over the entire orchestra.  I forgot that I was on earth at that time. It was like carrying the entire scene on air.

After the concert ended, I reviewed the footage and the emotions which I felt when each song/medley was played. I was also reminded that the orchestra represents ABS-CBN , a major TV network with acclaimed drama and telenovela series. Thus, I asked "was there a story in/during/about the concert?".  A story would help in prolonging the viewer's video engagement which means that viewers are enticed to finish the video. Next was to check out if there was a story which can be developed from the emotions that I felt during the concert.  The answer was a resounding YES!

By now, I was totally focused on the development of a story instead of connecting the recorded footage. The video shows a narrative and the music serves to highlight the narrative.  I admit that I lost the right perspective - I was suppose to be an events recorder not a story writer. With my obsession to come up with a different video for ABSPO, I forgot that I only need to show what happened and not to create something which was not there.  Well, I was still carrying the emotions which got me during the concert so I proceeded with the storytelling.





The story is about an orchestra conductor understudy/trainee (Maestro-in-the making) who was searching for romance. With the help of a "superfriend" Kal-El, the trainee was referred to Maestro Gerard who represents the "life" teacher of the understudy. After learning from his teacher, the understudy found his romance.

The inclusion of Star Wars, Kal-El and Gangnam Style in the story may not be necessary at first glance. Do not worry that I will use the shallow reason that the associated musical pieces were used even if it is a valid one.  When we are looking for someone, we just don't buy a magazine with a lovely cover girl or a dashing cover boy.  Some of us involve ourselves in various activities.  For some people, they travel to find someone or join several organizations to hunt down their prince/princess charming.  If it is possible to search the whole world or the universe to find our soul mate, some of us would do it.

In  our search for romance, we sometime request our friends to help us and ,for the religious, we even implore the aid of God (familiar with the line - Lord, please give me a lover!). Kal-El would become insignificant next to God.

Finally, why Gwiyomi and Gangnam?  When we search for our Mr./Ms. Right, we always put our best foot forward.  We even resort to cosmetic enhancements and surgery to improve our looks.  In similar terms, we have to be "lavishly cute" to attract a lifetime partner.

The bottom line is the story emphasizes that in order to find a long and lasting relationship, we must learn to "listen with the heart" or to focus totally on the other individual. The story might be quite simple without the twists and turns of a melodramatic one.  However, the symbolism used is deep (exaggerated for the unconvinced).

The video was then uploaded and I was expecting copyright claims to be made.  It will never be a problem for me to acknowledge a valid copyright claim.  What made me real unhappy was the form of censorship the original video version encountered.  If Youtube only has a list of songs which can be performed live but cannot be uploaded, I will abide by the list and will not consider the songs in the list.  It just so happened that I do not have a list and I really, really like the musical themes.  I think I am justified to be unhappy with the turn of events when the audio of my video was muted.  In the end, I respect the owners' decision to claim the song(s) but I am still hopeful that the owners would reconsider.

What I am feeling right now is my own doing so next time I have to check my involvement(passion) in the video creation process.  Like the title of a very popular ABS-CBN drama series,  I must "Be Careful With My Heart" next time for a hobby should not hurt me. IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE FUN!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment